Beginnings of the Anglican Church in Ontario
From The Bishops of the Church of England in Canada and Newfoundland
by Charles Henry Mockridge published 1896
At the beginning of the 19th century, Ontario (Upper Canada) had just 3 Anglican clergymen, based in Kingston, Bath and Niagara. This number had grown to about a 100 when the Diocese of Toronto was formed to cover Upper Canada in 1839.
Following is Charles Henry Mockridge's 1896 biographical sketch of the first bishop, Rev. John Strachan and the early years of the diocese.
Bishop John Strachan . . .
Benjamin Cronyn, first Bishop of Huron
Southwestern Ontario was separated from the Diocese of Toronto in 1857 to form the Diocese of Huron. Its first bishop, Rev. Benjamin Cronyn, was the first Synodically elected Bishop in the Anglican world. He was strongly evangelical in his theology compared with the Tractarian Bishop Strachan.
John Travers Lewis, first Bishop of Ontario
In 1861 the eastern part of Upper Canada was separated from the Diocese of Toronto to form the Diocese of Ontario. The consecration of the bishop marked the first time the ceremony had taken place in Canada. Rev. J. T. Lewis became Bishop of Ontario at the age of 37 and remained Bishop until 1900.
Thomas Brock Fuller, first Bishop of Niagara
The Diocese of Toronto was further sub-divided in 1875 when the Diocese of Niagara was formed with its see city in Hamilton. Bishop Bethune, second Bishop of Toronto, had been given the title of Bishop of Niagara when he had been made coadjutor for the ailing Bishop Strachan in 1866 but it was Rev. T. B. Fuller who was the first Bishop of the Diocese.
Charles Hamilton, first Bishop of Ottawa
When the Diocese of Ottawa was separated from the Diocese of Ontario in 1896 the second Bishop of Niagara, The Right Rev. Charles Hamilton was chosen as the first Bishop of Ottawa. Rev. Hamilton had turned down the chance to become bishop of the missionary Diocese of Algoma in 1873.